Recommended reading to support raising anti-racist, equity-focused kid(s).
This is a new program to support your work raising anti-racist, equity-focused kid(s). This fall 2020, Westwood parents purchased over 275 anti-racism books for their families!
Throughout the year additional resources, parent zoom conversations, anti-racism blog posts, and family discussion activities will be offered to support our anti-racism work as a community.
Our Anti-Racism Family Book Club Books:
- Toddler: God’s Dream (board book) | Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- Preschool/Kinder: Antiracist Baby | Ibram X. Kendi
- All Elementary: Different Differenter: An Activity Book About Skin Color | Jyoti Gupta
- Grade K-2: Intersection Allies: We Make Room for All | Chelsea Johnson, LaToya Council, & Carolyn Choi
- Grade 3-5: Resist: 40 Profiles of Ordinary People Who Rose Up Against Tyranny & Injustice | Veronica Chambers
- Anti-Racism Parenting Book: Raising White Kids | Jennifer Harvey
- Anti-Racism Parenting Book: Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America | Ibram X. Kendi
Anti-Racism Family Book Club Posts
Additional Anti-Racism Book Recommendations
There’s a lot of great books out there! Here are articles, lists, and blogs that can help you find additional books to check out from the library or add to your child’s collection.
Babies & Toddlers
Anti-Racist Books for Babies and Toddlers. https://www.babylist.com/hello-baby/antiracist-books
Preschool & Elementary
7 Books About Race to Read to Your Kids https://nymag.com/strategist/article/anti-racist-childrens-books.html
Top 154 Recommended African-American Children’s Books https://aalbc.com/books/children.php?offset=22
20 Picture Books for 2020: Readings to Embrace Race, Provide Solace & Do Good https://www.embracerace.org/resources/20-picture-books-for-2020
14 Antiracist Books for Kids and Teens Recommended by BIPOC Teachers and Librarians. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/antiracist-books-for-kids-and-teens/
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.